Episode 203: Donut Love Pride


This week, I announce a Unicorn KAL that I'm co-hosting with Magdalena from the "Wolff und Schafe" podcast, embark on an afterthought heel experiment, and chat about my latest sewing creation.

KALS

Unicorn KAL! πŸ¦„✨
Co-hosted with Magdalena from the Wolff und Schafe podcast
We'll be knitting Nilla The Unicorn Pattern by Rachel Borello Carroll, but you may knit/crochet any pattern of or relating to unicorns that you'd like!

WIPS

Afterthought Heel Vanilla Socks
Yarn: Fibernymph Dyeworks, Bounce Sock, "Time To Make the Donuts!"
  • For the first sock, I used a method Gigi from the Knitmore Girls Podcast recommended: Using thin crochet thread as the heel placeholder, instead of scrap yarn. I really like how slippery the thread is, which made it super quick to remove!
  • For the second sock, I'm going to be using Susan B. Anderson's technique for making afterthought heels, from her Smooth Operator Sock pattern

Sofia Shawl by Lyubov Shalnaya
Northbound Knitting, Superwash Merino Lace, "Gunmetal"
6/0 Beads

  • I had been using Chiaogoo Red Lace needles, but the points were a smidge too blunt for making nupps. So I swapped them out with a pair of Hiya Hiya Sharps in the same size, and have made a world of difference!  
While in Cape Cod, I started a Giant Scrap Granny Rectangle! I used a pattern from the Crochet Again Blog to get me started. I'm using a Tulip 2.5mm crochet hook.

STASH ENHANCEMENTS

PΓΌrl Yarn Shop in Provincetown, Cape Cod, MA
Trekking (XXL) / 118 colorway
Ivy Bramble Romantica Lace

Job Lot (Ocean State)
Lion Brand Moonlight Mohair / Colorway #206 Purple Mountains


SEWING

Benita from The Fiber Pusher Podcast generously sent me a wonderful package full of sewing books and patterns!! πŸ’•πŸ’–πŸ’•πŸ’–πŸ’•πŸ’–

This week I'm sewing the Polka Dot Day Dress from Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book.  In making it, I learn how to install an all-in-one facing!

I had originally intended to make this variation, but I had inadvertently sewn and serged the all-in-one facing armholes together. There's always next time!


Because I'm such a fan of Alison Smith's couture classes on Craftsy, I enrolled in her corset-making class, and purchased her book Dressmaking.

Maria from the Stitched In Sweden podcast is also inspiring me to learning how to sew my own bras!

SHOP UPDATE

Friday, August 12th, 2016 @ 7pm EST
This week I'm releasing two colorways from the Gorey Details Yarn Club: "Figbash" and "Assaulted By Bears".