Friday, December 4, 2015

Episode 174: Surrender To the Sock Faries



I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

FOs

Barley Hat by Tin Can Knits
Gynx Yarns, Merino Worsted, “Fantasy”

Seahorse Ornament

WIPS

Socks For Dennis
Skein, Top Drawer Sock, “Savannah”

Stonecutter by Michele WangQuince & Co., Lark, "Damson" 
  • Co-Hosting a Stonecutter KAL with the Fawn Knits Podcast
  • Triple-dip for prizes by joining Junk Yarn's Cable-a-long KAL

I'm Giving up on the 34th & 8th Mittens for Dennis. The pattern is sized for an average woman's hands, only. So, I cast on using a US 2 needle (one size larger than the pattern calls for) hoping to get a slightly larger gauge. Unfortunately, it was knitting up a smidge too large. So I frogged it and cast on using US 1s ... but at that point, I had lost steam. Nothing to do with the pattern ... I'm just realizing that I'm not a huge fan of knitting with Brooklyn Tweed Yarns. The hand isn't my favorite, and I don't like that the fiber it's so fragile.

I know I promised myself to lay off the sock-knitting in 2016 ... but I was watching Lara from the Fawn Knits podcast, who is knitting a pair of socks using Gynx Yarns Gingerbread House ... with contrasting heels and toes. I happen to have the same skein and really want to cast on a pair. In fact, Dani (Little Bobbins) and Isabelle (Fluffy Fibers) are both knitting socks with contrasting heels ... and I want in on the fun!

Count Down to Winter (Featherweight Cardigan) KAL 
I will be closing the Ravelry thread December 22nd and will announce prize winners in the folloiwng podcast episode.

STASH ACQUISITIONS

Enisa (aka KittyLovesBlue on Ravelry) sent me a lovely holiday package.
She also has the LunaBear Likes Yarn podcast.


I've also been taking part in some "Woolpiggery", as Jennie from the Tiny Paper Foxes podcast likes to call it. For some reason, during the holidays I think its OK for me to go a little crazy and buy more yarn and fiber. The stuff I ordered online is still in transit, but I should have lots of shiny new things to share with you next week.

SPINNING

Fancy Cop-Winding Tutorial (via SimplyNotable.com)

ASK AWAY

TatieStars on Ravelry asks ...

Hi Kristin,

I’d love to hear more about how you got into sewing and what you’d consider “starter supplies.” I have a sewing machine and have attempted a few projects, but then so much time goes by I forget how to use it. I want to get started and not be intimidated for once!

(I answer this question in Episode 172)

ALSO -- I think I’ve heard you mention a few times that you drink wine! What is your favorite or go-to wine? I’m a big wine drinker and always looking to try new ones.
Thanks!

A: I'm a huge fan of white wines, especially Sauvignon Blanc the dryer the better! When it comes to red wine, I love Malbec and Syrah, which can be spicy, and smokey.

 

SHOP UPDATE

Trunk Show at Gauge + TensionSaturday, Dec. 12 — Sunday, Dec. 13, 2015

The last update of 2015 will be Monday, December 21st.
 
BLATHER

Thanksgiving / Philly Recap
Mütter Museum
The Barnes Foundation


The Smitten Kitchen - Apple Cranberry Crisp recipe