Monday, June 22, 2015

Recipe: Lentil Salad

As promised, here is a recipe for my version of Lentil Salad!

When Dennis and I were living in Greenpoint, I used to grab weekend lunch at this place called The Garden. They made an awesome green lentil salad and would order it all the time!

Bushwick isn't that far from our old neighborhood, but not so easy to get to by subway. Needless to say, visits to my favorite lunch spot are pretty rare. So I took it upon myself to whip up my very own homemade lentil salad and who knew? It's pretty darn close, and super easy!

I usually make a giant bowl of it and eat for lunch during the week. Call me crazy, but I just don't tire of it. 


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups,  uncooked lentis (1 lb / 16oz bag)
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups, cherry tomatoes halved
  • 1 large raw carrot, grated / shredded
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 6 Tbsp, plain white vinegar
  • 6 Tbsp, lemon juice
  • 6 Tbsp, red wine vinegar
  • 4 Tbsp, extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp, garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp, Kosher Salt (or to taste)
  • 1 Tbsp, ground black pepper (or to taste)
  • Cracked Red Pepper (optional, to taste)

Directions: 

  1. Bring 6 cups of water to a rolling boil. 
  2. In the meantime, pour lentils into a strainer and rinse. 
  3. Place rinsed lentils into boiling water and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. 
  4. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils have absorbed all the water and are very tender. Be sure to check on it and stir occasionally.
  5. Turn stove off, and remove from heat. Let cool completely. 
  6. Place lentils in a large bowl and add other ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are distributed evenly. 
  7. Add more seasonings to your personal preference.
  8. Served chilled. Cover and store in fridge to enjoy throughout the week!