Episode 133: Sprudelsafting



Many thanks again to the Brooklyn Knit & Crochet Guild for inviting me to be a part of their panel on yarn blogging and crafting!
I was joined by Marsha (One Geek to Craft Them All Blog), Maria (Subway Knits Podcast), and Sarah (Knit York City Blog).

Paneling at the Brooklyn Knit & Crochet Guild Panel On Yarn Crafting & Blogging!

OFF THE NEEDLES

Favorite Sock Pattern
Yarn: Sleep Season "Gauge"

I cast off my Favorite Socks pattern, using Sleep Season's "Gauge" colorway. I'm not a huge fan of neon colorways, but I find them more tolerable when neutral shades are added to the mix, to tone them down.


ON THE NEEDLES

And so it begins! The Cozy Memories Blanket.

After seeing so many podcasters knitting on them, I caved and cast on a Cozy Memories Blanket. I'm following the Memory Blanket pattern by Georgie Hallam, which shows you how to join each square as you knit them ... so you're not left with all these tiny squares to graft and ends to weave in at the end.

Thanks to Molly of A Homespun House, I can now continue knitting on my Dots Shawl without swearing like a long shore man. She super generously gifted me a set of Karbonz interchangeable needles which I LOVE! And yes, I've been using the key they came with and they do not budge

I'm also working on my Regia Self-Striping After-Thought Heel Socks.

ASK AWAY

HalfPass92
On Ravelry Asks…
Hi Kristin!
I am a very newbie spinner -- my yarn is still thick-and-thin but I am determined! My question for you is: how do you prepare fiber packaged in different ways for spinning on a drop spindle? Does that make sense? Or, how do you get your fiber from a center-pull bat versus a braid versus a rolag versus something else ready to spin? I want to start building a fiber stash but I’m nervous about buying fiber when I don’t know the best way to get it out of the package and ready to spin!
Again, I am by no means an "expert" spinner. However, I do know pre-drafting your fiber (no matter what shape or form it comes to you in) makes a HUGE difference. But HOW you spin it is really up to you.
I suggest checking out the following craftsy classes for more on this subject:

Drafted from Worsted to Woolen
Spinning Dyed Fibers

You can also look many spinning techniques on YouTube for free!

SHOP UPDATE

The Next Shop Update will be Friday, January 30th, 2015 @ 2pm EST

BLATHER

Househunting has come to a bit of a stand-still. Just waiting for paper work to go through. And then me and Dennis have the EPIC decision of going with a house in a close, but different neighborhood, or taking a slightly bigger apartment that is for sale in our building. Decisions! Decisions!

In other news, we've been lazybones, watching movies. This past week we checked out 300 Rise of an Empire and Blended.