Yarn & Prejudice


It's been a while since I had one of those "ah-ha!" moments in knitting-- especially now, since most of my projects involve miles of stockinette. It's great when these little surprises sort of sneak up on you.

A recent post by Jane Richmond enabled inspired me to order some KnitPicks (self-striping) Felici. OK, I never had the urge to knit with self-striping yarn ... In fact, I was quite prejudice in thinking that it was for the knitter who was too lazy to switch colors (Yeah, I know. I'm AWFUL)!

NOW, I understand that it's not about being lazy. Of course,  it's all about color love! One look at Jane's socks and I was convinced that I needed to knit a pair myself.

So onto KnitPicks.com I went. Luckily, they were having a sale and helped myself to two skeins of Felici in their Building Blocks colorway.

I also noticed Jane opted for a 'short-row' heel-- which makes for a clean transition between stripes. Confession: I have never attempted a short-row heel. While I could have just gone my usual heel route (heel-flap, heel turn) I decided to learn something new!

To my surprise, hunting down a straight-forward, clear tutorial on how to knit short-row heels is tough!

Luckily I stumbled on a brilliant blog post by Eskimimi! She explains everything step-by-step, including photos. Of course, there were moments where I was totally, "huh?!"-- but that's when I turned to Cookie A.'s  Sock Innovation. I found myself referring back and forth between web site and book in order to grasp the full concept.

So, what is my opinion of short row heels? 

I still need practice, but I like them! ... Love them? ... Not sure. I would like to knit a few more pairs before I come to that consensus ... And knit more, I shall!

As for self-striping yarn?

I can hop on that band-wagon. It makes knitting vanilla socks FLY, because you just can't wait to get to the next color.

Anyway...