Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Weekend Knitting Round-Up: Labor Day

Design Challenge: 2 Arms Down and A Yoke to Go
 I hope everyone had a knitty Labor Day Weekend-- or at least enjoying the last days of summer. I'm a little sad, because I love hot weather! On the other hand, I can't wait for it to cool down so I can wear my Harpswell pullover

Otherwise, lots and lots of knitting this weekend! I put a major dent in my niece's sweater-- and loving the color combination more and more! I'm finally joined the sleeves last night, now for the fun part: fair isle hearts!
I mentioned in the last post that I'm turning this into a sort of design challenge: Knitting up something exciting using an otherwise dull color combination. I started a Ravelry thread in the StashBustArmy group for anyone who wants to join in! There's no time limit, start or end date... it's all in good fun! :)
 
 Laminaria, Madelinetosh Prairie
There were also a few other fiber distractions, like the Lamniaria Shawl I cast on, using the Madelinetosh Prairie I've been gushing over.-- My ballwinder broke AGAIN in the process of winding the cake... I've lost count of how many times I've had to crazy glue the handle back onto that thing. Thankfully, it holds out long enough, not to try my patience. However, I'm considering poking KnitPicks about this. 
Rockaway Nature Preserve
And finally, a crochet granny square throw. I'm determined to finish this one, this time, people! I WILL FINISH it! And scary as it is, I'm using crap-du-crilique. Yes, I strolled right into Michaels and willingly purchased 3 skeins of Red Heart Acrylic Super Saver Yarn! I had no shame! Since I'm on a total grellow kick, I opted for the color scheme you see below. If I could justify my need to crochet one of these, dare I say that no home should be without at least one granny square throw. It's a must! So stay tuned for progress on this little gem. ;-P
In other news, it's been a nice long weekend. Dennis and I took a drive over to Rockaway Beach, where we explored a nature preserve. I had no idea there's a nature preserve, out there! It's a nice 2-mile trail where you can see turtles and all sorts of birds like cormorants, egrets, canadian geese, swans-- and more seagulls. Unfortunately, we didn't see any turtles. Then we drove to the beach and walked along the boardwalk, where we got to see some of the damage Hurricane Irene left. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad. However, it was the mosaic whale that I became totally fixated on! From far away, it looks like a scary thing. But up close, it's pretty damn cool!
Rockaway Beach Mosaic Whale