Thursday, September 1, 2011

Design Challenge: Making Dull Color Combos Exciting!


So far, so dull... but I'm about to change that!
Last night I cast on a sweater for my niece's 3rd birthday! My first impulse was to splurge on new yarn, but 2 things held me back:
  1. I have copious amounts of yarn to bust.
  2. I don't have much time... her party is on 9/17 and if I know my mailman well, I'm not going to hold my breath.
While this is good news for my stash and budget, I'm not totally enamored with the color combination I chose for this project-- I'm using Knit Picks Worsted Wool of The Andes in Mink Heather and Black Cherry Heather-- colors I chose for two previous sweater projects that didn't pan out. On their own, they are very pretty colors but together, they seem a little drab for my taste, let a lone a 3-year-old's! However out of all the worsted weight yarn in my stash, they are the only two that seem to compliment each other.

On the other hand, I think with the right fair isle pattern the colors can be over-looked. It will be a nice challenge, and at the very least, the kid will have something warm to wear!

I think this makes for an interesting #StashBustArmy project, so I started a thread in the StashBustArmy group on Ravelry! If you'd like to challenge yourself and share your work, I'd love to see what you come up with :)

If all goes well, I'll knit another one for my older niece, who will be 4 years old in January! -- and is way over due for some knitwear from Auntie K ;)