Episode 11: Out To Pasture

Hola!

Not a lot of knitting this week, thanks to pulling a 60-hour week at work. On the other hand, LOTS startitus and yarn acquisitions! Yes. I know. I'm a disgrace to the #StashBustArmy... please forgive me. But look on the bright side... more yarn to bust!

Honestly, I blame BrooklynTweed's new Shelter wool line... couldn't help ordering a skein in the "Nest" colorway. I have no idea what to knit with it yet... mittens, a hat. Perhaps another Habitat. It's so soft... and you can feel the lanolin in the fiber. I can't decide which gets colder in winter most... my hands or my head. Hmm... actually, my arms. Might as well order more so I can make a whole sweater! ;) OK, no no... none of that. Yarn Diet!
I also cast on Beatnik, from the latest Knitty.com issue (Deep Fall 2010)
I'm using Knit Picks Wool of The Andes Worsted in Mink Heather.

Retro Photo taken with Instagram iPhone App

After casting on Owl Mittens by SpillyJane, I realized I needed, or should learn how to knit Continental style. I found this YouTube tutorial helpful in learning how to hold the yarn in your left hand.

I visited an LYS in Williamsburg... The Yarn Tree and purchased this amazing skein of Frog Tree fingering weight alpaca... Totally in love with the color. No idea what I'm going to knit with it. Suggestions?

Frog Tree Fingering Alpaca in #204
At the moment, I'm reading Brave New Knits by Julie Turjoman and really enjoying it! It's basically a collection of biographies of various knitting pattern designers and how the Internet has helped to expand their knitting endeavors and reach a wider audience. Good stuff! I like how you don't have to read it cover to cover... I've just been skipping around reading bios at random. I downloded the Kindle version, so I can just read it on my iPhone on my way to work. However, the photos are displayed small and in black and white... Jared Flood of BrooklynTweed photographed the entire book, so this definitely takes away from the experience. Still, as I was flipping through I saw a lot of patterns I could see myself casting on. I'll get into all that next week. But in the meantime, I highly recommend giving it a gander. :)

#STASHBUSTARMY
Also, going forward, if there's a pattern you'd like to suggest for stash busting via Twitter please use #SBAPatterns. This will make it easier to look up pattern suggestions vs. projects. :)


Also, here's a little preview of the fingerless mitts I'm designing-- I knit these using ArtYarns Ultramerino4... the colorway number escapes me.