Sunday, May 16, 2010

Katonah Yarn Company


My parents are moving this month, so Dennis and I spent Saturday in Westchester helping them pack. Being city folk, they moved into a house much too big for them so now their moving into a more suitable-sized home down the road. Seriously, every time we visit them, it's like an episode of MTV Cribs; only a few rooms lived in. The rest empty! I'm glad it only took them a year to realize this. ;-)

OK, I lied. Dennis and my dad spent the day lifting heavy boxes into a U-Haul, while my mom kidnapped me to go shopping. We hit up the mall, did some damage at Forever21. I then whipped out my iPhone and Knit-Mapped the nearest yarn shop. Katonah Yarn Company popped up and we were off!

Incredible! Every wall, floor to ceiling stocked with yarn! Everything from Malabrigo, Cascade, Madelinetosh, Lorna's Laces... For a tiny hut in the parking lot of an mini-mall, this place had it all! I may have experienced a yarn-gasm.

I told my mom to pick out some yarn. I of course, suggested Malabrigo lace and this is the color she chose: Jewel Blue. I have to admit, I'm in love with the color. It's like a neon periwinkle.
She's not really into the triangular shawls, so I'm going to knit her a rectangular-- Maybe Print O' the Wave Stole pattern. And... as a cherry-topper, she bought me this insanely cute sheep tape-measure!

Finally, a couple stray cats usually frequent my parents' deck, so my mom likes to leave a bowl of kibble and milk out for them. Occasionally, she'll forget to take the bowl inside at the end of the day, which is when they get another kind of visitor. We lovingly call him Harold. ;-)

Ooh! Also, a nifty trick I learned from watching Ria wind my skeins a few weeks ago, is how to save a yarn tags after winding the skein. Before removing the cake from the ballwinder, fold the tag and hold it ontop of the winder. Now, pull the cake off, pushing the tag into the center. So if you come back to the yarn eons later, and need to know the gauge, yardage, etc... you don't have to go on a scavenger hunt to find it. Cool, huh?

Dahlias my Cousin Karin gave to me on Mother's Day
My Shetland Triangle Shawl is coming along. Almost finished with the 1st skein! Admittedly, I'm getting a little bored with the pattern. It's very simple and repetative and at this point have it entirely memorized! I think I shall banish it to TV / Car knitting for now and cast on my mom's shawl. Don't worry. I'm going to finish it. I'm dying to wear it!