Sunday, April 11, 2010

How To Frog Lace Without Losing Your Mind


It was bound to happen. I flubbed one of the last few rows of my Ishbel shawl. Since I had been working on it for the most part of Saturday, I decided to put it aside and come back to it. So, I sucked it up, pulled all 300+ stitches off the needles and frogged two and a half rows! Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

While I did not heed Kelly Petkun's advice to use dental floss as a lifeline, here's another way to save lace projects without completely losing your mind:

1. Have a good audio book or lineup of podcasts handy. TV not recommended. Since you're dealing with lace here, it's advisable to keep your eyes on those dainty stitches as much as possible.

2. Gently pull stitches off the needle. Lie project flat in your lap and slowly frog the stitches. (Everynow and then, take a moment to wind loose yarn back around the skein to prevent tangles)

5. Choose a needle size 1-2 sizes smaller than what you're using. This makes it easier to pick up those tiny stitches. Now, ripping a few stitches at a time, pick them up with the smaller needle.

6. When all your stitches are on the smaller needle, knit them off with the original needle size.

Crisis averted!