Little Birds: A Lesson Learned


So, I finally cast on Ysolda's Little Birds cardigan and I don't think I'll be the first to say, this pattern ain't no slice o' cherry pie! Actually, it just reiterates a lesson I shall never learn: READ THE PATTERN FIRST... at least you'll know what you're getting yourself into.

The process was tedious as hell, to the point where I got to the 1st button hole and I collapsed in a puddle of utter frustration! I saw all the warning signs. They were there GLARING me straight in the face:

1. Provisionally CO 139 sts on US 3 needles... right there, that's a SHEISSE-load of stitches on itty bitty needles! But no. I made it my business to learn the provisional cast on method, and soldiered on!

2. Little did I expect that after a few rows, I'd have 277 stitches transferred to US 1 needles! Yes, the tubular cast on (With smallest needle, K2 off larger needle, P2 off smallest needle) is not for the faint of heart. Don't get me wrong. I see where Ysolda is going with this. It's very pretty, yet as I was knitting, I couldn't help thinking how VERY unnecessary this all was! I probably could have just cast on 277 stitches with a simple long-tail cast on. I didn't need a fancy-schmancy non-stretchy cast on. Pffft! But it was looking pretty and I convinced myself it would all be worth it. Moving on...

3. I don't know why, but when I got to making the first button hole, I snapped. I realized I would be knitting on US1 needles for a very long time... and when I got to the first button hole, I succummed to my frustration and ripped everything off the needles. Sad. But true.

Despite this, it was certainly a learning experience. At least now I know how to do a provisonal and tubular cast on. Not all is lost.

Someday I'll knit Little Birds... But not today.