Saturday, October 10, 2009

Instant Gratification



~SATURDAY~

My first Knit Picks yarn order included of 5 skeins of Wool of the Andes Worsted in Grass. Until now, I had no idea what to knit with it. So this morning I woke up and decided I'd knit up a pair of bulky, cozy socks for Dennis. All was going well when right after I turned the heel, Dennis said he prefers a "fine" knit pair.



OK... At first, he couldn't grasp the concept of knitted socks. But after trying on the one I knit last week, he was sold. Who knew he'd become a sock snob? Pffft!

I have to agree, though, I do like the way real sock yarn looks compared to ones kit with worsted weight. These will just be ones we can throw on to keep our feetsies warm, I guess.

~SUNDAY~



It's Monday! Why am I so excited? Because I have the whole day off! ::does happy dance::
I may swing by my office's messenger center to pick up my yarn shipment later. Blasphemy, I know. But the whole point of ordering yarn last Monday was so that I'd have somethig to knit this Monday. I need to run some errands in the city anyway, so I might as well. Hopefully I can dodge the Columbus Day Parade unscathed.

Other than that, had a fun weekend. Dennis and I drove to Poughkeepsie just to get out of the city. Crashed at his parents' place while they were away, and spent Sunday driving around Hudson Valley. Kicked around West Point, then drove to Storm King Art Center which has amazing landscapes scattered with massive sculptures by Roy Lichtenstein, Richard Serra, Maya Lin and oodles more. I was feeling kind of blah, so walking was out of the question. Thankfully there was a trolley that took us around. If I were more up to it, and it was warmer I'd love to walk it. According to Dennis, that's how it's supposed to be experieced.

On the way back we hit up Stew Leonard's in hopes of scoring some generous food samples, but I guess after a certain hour they stop serving apple cider donuts, chili, pulled pork echiladas, meat balls... ugh, getting hungry just thinking about it. Thankfully, the ice cream stand was still open. We skipped getting a pumpkin. Last year I carved one and within a few days it started to mold. We banished it to the fire escape where the birds pecked at it until it was a soggy heap of pumpkin carcas.

As far as knitting goes, I managed to put a big dent in Kernel. On the second ball of Palette... a ways more to go.

OK, off to see the Wizard... about a box o' yarn!