Friday, October 30, 2009

Cables & Crawls



Exhibit A above, clearly suggests another case of start-itus. I cast on Suvi Simola's Baby Cables and Big Ones Too sweater a few days ago and I can't believe 35 rows uses up one whole skein of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes. Craziness!

I've been so caught up knitting shawls, socks, hats and mittens, I forgot how much I love knitting sweaters. But not all is lost. I did learn a few things about myself during this sweater-knitting hiatus:

1. Sock knitting can be fun. At least the first sock. Once I get to the second, I just lose all interest or am distracted by another project. Also, if all that labor of love's just going to be hidden away in your boots, what's the point? I've seen many beautifuly knitted socks, no offense to those who enjoy knitting them, but it's just not for me. Sorry.

2. Mittens provide instant gratification, practicality and warmth... and unlike socks, you can show them off!

3. I won't be knitting ALL my holiday gifts. Taking the advice of others and what I know of myself I've succumbed to the fact that it's just not possible. Maybe if I didn't have knitter ADD, but the idea that I'll be able to knit all my relatives and friends scarves, hats, mittens... is just lunacy! It's not going to happen.

4. Knitting triagle shawls are more interesting than long rectangular ones. Again, no offense to anyone who enjoys knitting long rectangular shawls... but for me, I need change evey couple of rows. Another reason I'm not knitting holiday gifts. That's all my relatives want. Rectangular shawls... knitted in BLACK!

5. I do not enjoy knitting with black yarn.

OK, enough ranting and raving about likes and dislikes... onto better stuff.

I know I'm a little late in the game, but I just got a copy of Interweave's Fall 2009 magazine and have been drooling over several patterns. Namely, the Trellis & Vine pullover and Berroco's Anhinga,which is from an a Berroco ad, and not actually a featured pattern.

There are some other pretty patterns I'm considering adding to my Ravelry queue, but one thing I just don't get are sweaters with short sleeves. Am I missing something? When I'm cold, my arms are ususally the first victims. Hence the invention of shrugs! I guess I can always knit sleeves.

So today's Halloween, and of course, I don't have a costume. No idea what I'm going to dress up as. Crazty knitter zombie girl? Dennis bought a cheapo Grimm Reaper pitch fork, but I'm not sure what he's going to do with that. We do have fake blood from last Halloween. Maybe I can whip something up before the Greenpoint Zombie Crawl!!! Should be a good time.