Saturday, February 21, 2009

Strangling Domesticity

What a crazy couple of weeks. Valentine's day weekend was amazing! Dennis took me to the Saratoga Springs Spa, and Lake George for some wine tasting... and buying! ;-)
The lake was totally frozen over, with snow mobile races, and polar simmers. Pure insanity!
It was a 3 hour drive, but I bet you can guess what I did the whole way up... knit!

I'm half way done knitting my grandmother's Strangling Vines Scarf. I was on the phone with her last night. She sounded really excited about it and can't wait to see it! Usually, I'm not a fan of knitting scarves, because it's just a back and forth repetitive motion for several feet... I like the challenge of knitting sweaters. But her excitement's keeping me motivated...

I think knitting is one of the few things we have in common, (along with baking). I like how excited we both get when talking about it... She only knows German knitting jargon, in which Knit is Links, and Purl is Rechte... but it's fun trying to translate it. I wish I knew German fluently. It's such an awesome language.

Last night Dennis and I ate at this restaurant called Lamb & Jaffy. We've lived here for over a year and still had never been, and it's literally right around the corner from us. I figured we'd give it a try. After all, it's BYOB, and (my apologies to vegetarians in advance) how can you pass up Bison and Lamb burgers?! OK, so we tried it. The ambiance was perfect but the food was just OK. A little pricey for what you actually get and my bison burger was kind of dry. But I guess that's bison in general. I dunno. Maybe I should have ordered something like the Scallops or Trout... but I feel like I could have gotten the same thing at a diner. It was nice to get out anyway... I've been working my butt off at work.

My boss has me working on this new project, designing and animating graphics for this new weekly feature about iPhones. I'm basically eating, breathing, shitting, and dreaming about iPhone Applications. It's a lot of fun, but my brain is hurting. I'm fine not even looking at a computer today... I've been knitting all morning... craving domestic activities. But I really need to get later. I feel the secretarial spread coming on.