Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Comfort Dip: Spicy Bacon Split Pea

I'm totally obsessed with making dips... especially hummus. And the funny thing is, I end up not really dip anything into the dip except a big spoon. So that being said, the dips I make double as a snack I guess. 

After opening the fridge today, I realized the container of hummus I made earlier this week was diminishing quickly. But this time, I decided to try something new. Since the weather's getting cooler, and soup is definitely working its way back into my diet, it dawned on me to try making a split pea dip! And it actually came out incredibly YUMS!

So with out further ado, I give you my Spicy Bacon Split Pea Dip



15oz Can Split Peas
3 slices Deli Sliced Ham
1 tbsp fresh cracked pepper
Sea Salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp filtered water
Olive Oil or PAM

Cut ham slices into smaller pieces and place in small sauce pan with olive oil or pam on high. Place whole can of peas into food processor. Add a dash of salt & pepper. Stir around pan until slightly darkened. Remove pan from heat and set aside. 

Place whole can of peas into food processor. Add salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and lemon juice. Process well adding water as you go along, or until desired density. (note: don't add too much water or the dip will become too watery.)

Add cooked ham to the food processor and blend for one more minute. You may add more pepper or cayenne pepper if you want to and more spice.